Friday, January 29, 2016

Thoughts About Reading

I love to read. In a conversation I started with some of my students about reading the readers told the non-readers that they would like reading also if they found the "right" book. Wouldn't it be great if as teachers we could snap our fingers and produce the "right" book for the students who don't like to read. During the conversation I asked if they were reading during RTI. On Monday during our RTI block 25 minutes is dedicated to reading. Most said that they were reading during this time. One student said that she preferred to read only nonfiction, and that she was reading the same nonfiction article over and over during the reading time. This student is a senior who plans to go to college. I keep telling them that the ACT is mostly a reading test and that college level reading is harder than what they are reading in high school.  On my classroom door I have a chart that shows how much  students can improve their ACT test scores by reading every day. I don't think it is having that much impact on them even though it is in black and white and prominently displayed so that they can see it every time they walk out my door. Reading is a joyful experience for me. I love to pick up a book and become immersed into the plot and the characters and find myself holding my breath without knowing it until I have to breathe. I don't know how to convey that kind of experience to students who not only don't read but seem set on not reading. Not being able to read at grade level is a problem that we as educators are having to address more and more. It handicaps us as teachers to teach the texts we need to teach. I don't have any answers, but I am wondering where and when we have the opportunity to turn kids on to the enthralling adventures they can encounter between the pages of the "right" book. Anybody out there want to share some thoughts about that?

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have a copy of the reading compared to ACT score chart. Where did you get it or find the information ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a copy of the reading compared to ACT score chart. Where did you get it or find the information ?

    ReplyDelete